Saturday, June 24, 2006

This is your neighborhood...

... and these are yo' mamas.

Welcome to your online moms' group/playgroup/coffee klatsch. The mommy-blogosphere is, of course, our larger neighbourhood, the virtual place that we write and play: this is a local gathering space, for plotting real-life adventures and talking about all things GTA. The topics that might be a little too local-community specific for regular front-page posting.

I know that there are many online resources devoted to mommin' it in Toronto. Again, this is not intended to function as a resource so much as a gathering space (tho' resources will almost certainly be generated). An open, collaborative gathering space. If you want to organize a get-together but don't want to devote a whole post at your site, just make an announcement that there's a post here that GTA mamas and friends might be interested in. If you feel like ranting or raving about something in Toronto or environs (I am BUSTING to rant about the inexplicably terrible customer service at certain TO baby stores, and to rave about the fact that H&M is coming to Dufferin Mall. H&M and Winners in one location that I can WALK TO, OMG), but think that it would only be of interest to TO moms, do it here and link to it from your site. I, of course, will always announce and link to whatever is here from my site.

Kind of like MetBlogs, or BlogTO. But for moms (and interested dads).

This is just an experiment, of course. It may simply turn into Her Bad Mother's Backyard, the place where I announce BBQ's and badminton matches. And that's fine, too - the living room and basement are too small for badminton matches, and they have to happen somewhere. But for now, like the Basement, it's open to anybody and everybody. If you live in TO, near TO, not-so-near but like TO, visit TO, got something to say about TO or anywhere within driving distance of TO - you're welcome to hang here. Same principles as the Basement: e-mail me with your post and I'll put it up. (Eventually I'd like to just circulate the username - tdotmoms - and password to regular posters, but I need to figure out how we'd co-ordinate that without spilling all over each other's posts.)

*******

And now - dum da da DUM - for our first announcement...

TO Mama Get-Together!!!!

Hopefully, the first of many. Confirmed details to date: Withrow Park, June 30th, 2:30 - 5:30 (or thereabouts).

Where in Withrow? If somebody could suggest a location in the park, I'd be much grateful.

After Withrow? Again, we need suggestions for watering holes that will accomodate a group. I'll start the discussion by suggesting this: because we're doing the park thing east side, and because we'll all need to take babies/kiddies home before slipping out for libations, a central location is probably best (so that those of us who are not on the east side don't have to travel cross town twice). Any ideas?

We also need to decide upon the timing for the evening get-together: earlier (in the vicinity of 7pm) or a bit later (after 8pm, after babbies are put to bed).

Once we've settled upon final details, hopefully by Monday, I'll post them here and we can do a head count!

So excited, ladies! So excited.

*******
If you're a TO mom, or a near-TO (southern Ontario) mom, and you'd like to have your blog included on the 'Moms in the GTA' sidebar list, send me a link or post it in the comments.
A blogroll of other blogs will be added shortly, as will a list of TO resource links...

18 Comments:

Blogger kittenpie said...

Yay! At the very north edge of the park, beside the tennis courts, there is a playground area mostly designed for the younger set, fully fenced in, with a shady clubhouse overhang, with small slides and baby swings and a sandbox. This is a perfect place. I will so be there!

I will have to think about ideas for the evening - scarbiedoll might be a good one to ask, as she gets out more. I'll be there too, just try and stop me. I am all
a-twitter

June 24, 2006 12:03 PM  
Blogger bubandpie said...

Still undecided about the afternoon gig (opposite side of the city from where I'm coming from, and my babbies tend to be asleep at that time), but I'm on for the evening.

Any directions available for the park?

June 24, 2006 12:57 PM  
Blogger metro mama said...

Thanks for organising this!

A few suggestions for drinks (all with patios)...The Black Bull (Queen and John), Hemingways (Yorkville), The Madison (Bloor and St. Clair).

Any time is fine for me.

June 24, 2006 6:46 PM  
Blogger sunshine scribe said...

Thanks for doing this HBM!!!

Little Sunshine (who is actually the oldest of all the kiddies I think - he'll be like the big brother dude) and I will be at Withrow a little late - more like 3:30 or 4ish. And then I am on for the evening too.

No good suggestions for drinks except to say I'll go anywhere :) I like all of Metro Mama's picks though. Or if we want to go a little more west or south to make it easier for you and Bub & Pie, I am totally flexible.

Can't wait!!!

Sandra

June 25, 2006 4:57 AM  
Blogger Marla said...

Oh crud - we have plans to go to Toronto Island that day (depending on the weather). It is too sad! Mere blocks away from us! Well, I'll check back for the evening plans - perhaps then.

bubandpie; The park is one block South of the Danforth, between Logan and Carlaw - extending South to Bain (or Withrow - the larger street running one way going East between Pape and Broadview) TTC on the Bloor line to either Pape and walk West, or Chester and walk East. There's usually plenty of street parking on either Carlaw (one way going South) or Logan (one way going North) along the sides of the park.

June 26, 2006 6:41 AM  
Blogger Mega Mom said...

Um...can I be an honorary member? Tix to TO would cost me about 3 hundy, so maybe next time...

June 26, 2006 6:56 AM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Marla - do either Pape or Chester have elevators (for strollers), do you know?

June 26, 2006 7:45 AM  
Blogger sunshine scribe said...

Oh yes. Make Mega Mom an honorary member. Please please!!!

June 26, 2006 8:33 AM  
Blogger Gabriella said...

What a great idea! I would love to make the big trek from exciting Brampton lol, but I can't make it, perhaps another time!

June 26, 2006 8:33 AM  
Blogger kittenpie said...

Chester and Pape don't have elevators, but Broadview does, and I would guess it is about 10 minutes walk, just one stop further, if you need an elevator. Just walk east three lights from Boradview to Logan (there's a Tim Horton's on the SE corner as a landmark), then turn south one black and you are right by the little kids' park.

Also, we usually have good luck parking on the little street on the north border of the park - it's two-way, so can be approached from either end.

June 26, 2006 9:00 AM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Mega Mom is a FOUNDING member, and well-honoured. And general honorary membership is open to anybody who likes us... :)

June 26, 2006 9:13 AM  
Blogger something blue said...

I am really looking forward to Friday! I'll be at the park and hope to join in on drinks too.

http://www.toronto.com/guide/patio

I was going to suggest the 3rd floor patio at Paupers or the artsy, small garden patio for martini's at Souz Dal.

It's calling for 40% chance of scattered showers so we may need a rain plan.

June 26, 2006 1:09 PM  
Blogger tomama said...

I'd love to be there but summer weekends are tough for us. Come the fall, Baby Girl, The Dude and I will so be there!

Jen

June 26, 2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger crabbykate said...

I'm in, but for the later part of the day. I am picking up the child early from daycare so we can go, and will bail on work early too.

June 26, 2006 7:26 PM  
Blogger scarbie doll said...

Wait -- are we bringing babies to the evening part? Not sure if I can make the evening part. Have friends in from E-town. Anyway, if no babies and you're all stopping by home on the way, you're pretty much free to go anywhere central for drinkies. If you're staying East I like the House on Parliament, or The Only. If you're going West, Agree with SB -- College is indeed your best bet for patio that's not too snooty. I have a soft spot for the Chelsea Room on Dundas West and for Sweaty Betty's patio on Ossington at Queen.

June 27, 2006 7:16 AM  
Anonymous Jen@urbanmoms.ca said...

Hi Mama! I couldn't find an email but would love to chat. I think you are familiar with my site, urbanmoms.ca, and would love to chat further about T.O. moms online...drop me a line at jen@urbanmoms.ca.

Looking forward to it!

Jen

July 03, 2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Would love for you to add my blog
mommydiarytales.blogspot.com
I am in the GTA...much further north than you guys though!

July 11, 2006 6:25 PM  
Blogger York Region Baby said...

this is great..
can u pls add my blog - i'm north of the city as well

http://www.mysillysausage.blogspot.com

also, I have run www.yorkregionbaby.com - if you could add that it would be great :)

July 13, 2006 6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home